A few day ago the data center where I used to host my name servers lost its connection to the Internet for a very long time (almost 36 hours). Whatever the cause, the web, mail and application servers of customers big and small were dead in the water. There was no way to reach them via the Internet. The data center’s owner, who’s a friend of mine, was on the phone with his service providers, getting the issue sorted out. In the first 24 hours I sent him around five text messages and was able to speak with him a couple of times. However, many of his other clients couldn’t reach him, and some of them even called me asking if I knew what was going on.
Happy with my experience with a custom WordPress installation for this blog, I decided to try using the blogging platform for the TaskForest website. The two main reasons were the ease of creating RSS feeds and the ability for users to comment on posts or articles. After a few days of tinkering around, I’ve come to the conclusion that, at least for TaskForest, WordPress would cause more problems than it would solve. Here’s how I came to that conclusion: